Gettin’ the Band Back Together
Music and Lyrics by Mark Allen and a book by Ken Davenport and the Grundleshotz
Broadway 1st Preview Jul 19, 2018 – Opening Night Aug 13, 2018 – Total Previews 30 and Total Performances 8 as of Aug 19, 2018
Gettin’ the Band Back Together is a musical with music and lyrics by Mark Allen and a book by Ken Davenport and the Grundleshotz, a group of performers and writers including Sebastian Arcelus, Fred Berman, Michael Hirstreet, Jenna Coker Jones, Craig Jorczak, Nathan Kaufman, Jay Klaitz, Emily McNamara, Jennifer Miller, Bhavesh Patel, Sarah Saltzberg and Fletcher Young.
George Street Playhouse, 2013
Originally titled “Garage Band,” Gettin’ the Band Back Together was developed through a four-year improvisational rehearsal process by Ken Davenport and the Grundleshotz. It premiered at the George Street Playhouse on September 24, 2013, starring Alison Fraser and Mitchell Jarvis. The production was directed by John Rando and choreographed by Kelly Devine. Residents of Sayreville, New Jersey, the musical’s setting and Jon Bon Jovi’s hometown, were offered half-price tickets to the production’s final preview performance on October 3, and first responders and emergency workers from Sayreville were offered complimentary tickets.
Pre-Broadway Workshop, 2014
On June 24, 2014, Gettin’ the Band Back Together had a workshop performance in New York City starring Constantine Maroulis & Marilu Henner and directed by John Rando.
The musical opened on Broadway at the Belasco Theatre on July 19, 2018 in previews with opening night expected for August 13. The production is directed by Rando with choreography by Chris Bailey, scenic design by Derek McLane, costume design by Emily Rebholz and lighting design by Ken Billington.
In New York City, businessman Mitch Papadopolous is fired on his fortieth birthday. He returns to Sayreville, New Jersey, his hometown, to move back in with his mother, Sharon (“Jersey”). Mitch’s best friend, Bart, suggests they reunite their old band, Juggernaut, and when Tygen Billows, their nemesis from high school, learns that Mitch has returned to Sayreville, he challenges Mitch to a rematch of the Battle of the Bands competition that Juggernaut won twenty years earlier.
Mitch is initially reluctant to reunite the band (“One of Those Guys”), but when Tygen threatens to foreclose on Sharon’s and Bart’s houses, Mitch agrees to enter the Battle of the Bands on the condition that if his band wins, Sharon and Bart will get to keep their houses. Mitch and Bart convince their old band-mates, Sully and Robbie, to get the band back together (“Gettin’ the Band Back Together”), with the exception of Kenny, who died while playing a concert at an amusement park two years earlier (“Kenny’s Hymn”). The band replaces Kenny with Ricky, a sixteen year old student from the local high school where Bart teaches math.
Juggernaut begins rehearsals, encouraged by Sharon, and book their first gig playing a Jewish wedding (“Hava Nagila”). Mitch begins talking to Dani, his ex from high school who is dating Tygen. Mitch and Tygen get into a fist fight at a bar, landing Juggernaut in jail (“Life Without Parole”).
The band gets out of jail just in time for the Battle of the Bands, where Juggernaut performs their new song (“Do Over”).
|Character||George Street Playhouse (2013)||Pre-Broadway Workshop (2014)||Broadway (2018)|
|Mitch Papadopolous||Mitchell Jarvis||Constantine Maroulis||Mitchell Jarvis|
|Bart Vickers||Jay Klaitz|
|Michael “Sully” Sullivan||Adam Monley||Paul Whitty|
|Rummesh “Robbie” Patel||Manu Narayan|
|Ritchie Lorenzo||Garth Kravitz|
|Tygen Billows||Brandon Williams|
|Sharon Papadopolous||Alison Fraser||Marilu Henner|
|Dani Franco||Michelle Duffy||Kelli Barrett|
|Roxanne Velasco||Deidre Goodwin||Natalie Venetia Belcon||Tamika Lawrence|
|Tawny Truebody||Emily McNamara||Becca Kötte|
|Ricky “Bling” Goldstein||Evan Daves||Sawyer Nunes|
|Billie Franco||Heather Braverman||Noa Solorio|
Original Cast Recording
An original cast recording of the George Street Playhouse production of Gettin’ the Band Back Together was released on December 27, 2013.
- “Jersey” – Mitch, Bart, Sully, Robbie, Ensemble
- “One of Those Guys” – Mitch
- “Gettin’ the Band Back Together” – Mitch, Bart, Sully, Robbie
- “Kenny’s Hymn” – Mitch, Bart, Sully, Robbie
- “Hava Nagila” – Ricky, Ensemble
- “Life Without Parole” – Mitch, Bart, Sully, Robbie, Ricky, Drunk Guy
- “Bart’s Confession” – Bart, Ensemble
- “Do Over” – Mitch, Bart, Sully, Robbie, Ricky
Mitchell Jarvis – Mitch Papadopolous
Kelli Barrett – Dani Franco
Marilu Henner – Sharon Papadopolous
Jay Klaitz – Bart Vickers
Becca Kötte – Broadway Debut – Tawney Truebody/ Ensemble
Garth Kravits – Ritchie Lorenzo
Tamika Lawrence – Roxanne Velasco
Manu Narayan – Rummesh ‘Robbie’ Patel
Sawyer Nunes – Ricky Bling
Noa Solorio – Broadway Debut – Billie Franco
Paul Whitty – Sully Sullivan
Brandon Williams – Broadway Debut – Tygen Billows
Ryan Duncan – Ensemble
Nehal Joshi – Ensemble
J. Elaine Marcos – Ensemble
Rob Marnell – Ensemble
Jasmin Richardson – Broadway Debut – Ensemble
Tad Wilson – Ensemble
Swings: Lindsey Brett Carothers, Scott Richard Foster, Jenny Hill and Ian Ward
Understudies: Lindsey Brett Carothers (Billie Franco), Scott Richard Foster (Bart Vickers, Ritchie Lorenzo, Tygen Billows), Jenny Hill (Dani Franco, Sharon Papadopolous), Nehal Joshi (Rummesh ‘Robbie’ Patel), Becca Kötte (Dani Franco), Rob Marnell (Mitch Papadopolous, Sully Sullivan), Jasmin Richardson (Roxanne Velasco) and Ian Ward (Ricky Bling)
Book by The Grundleshotz and Ken Davenport
Music by Mark Allen; Lyrics by Mark Allen
Additional material: Sarah Saltzberg
Orchestrations: Doug Katsaros and Sonny Paladino
Vocal arrangements by Sonny Paladino and Mark Allen
Music Direction, Incidental Music, and Dance Arrangements Sonny Paladino
Directed by John Rando
Choreographed by Chris Bailey; Associate Director: Dan Barron
Associate Choreographer: Beth Crandall
Scenic Design by Derek McLane
Costume Design by Emily Rebholz
Lighting Design by Ken Billington
Sound Design by John Shivers
Hair and Wig Design by J. Jared Janas
Makeup Design by J. Jared Janas
Associate Scenic Design: Adam Karavatakis
Associate Costume Design: Steven Rotramel
Associate Lighting Design: Aaron Porter
Associate Sound Design: Kevin Kennedy and David Patridge
Associate Hair Design: Brittany Hartman
Associate Makeup Design: Brittany Hartman
- “New Musical Garage Band, Developed through Improvisational Rehearsals, Will Debut at George Street Playhouse | Playbill”. Playbill. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- “‘Gettin’ the Band Back Together’ at the George Street Playhouse turns a rock ‘n roll fantasy into a musical”. NJ.com. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- Desk, BWW News. “Alison Fraser & Mitchell Jarvis to Lead GETTIN’ THE BAND BACK TOGETHER at George Street Playhouse; Full Cast Announced”. BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- “Sayreville residents invited to special preview of musical | October 3, 2013 | sub.gmnews.com | Suburban”. sub.gmnews.com. Archived from the original on 2016-03-11. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- “Constantine Maroulis, Marilu Henner, Natalie Venetia Belcon and More Will Be Part of Gettin’ The Band Back Together Readings | Playbill”. Playbill. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- Clement, Olivia. ” ‘Gettin’ the Band Back Together’ Begins Previews on Broadway July 19″ Playbill, July 19, 2018
- “Official Site | Gettin’ The Band Back Together the Musical”. www.gettinthebandbacktogether.com. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- “Original Cast Recording of Gettin’ The Band Back Together, Featuring Mitchell Jarvis, Now Available | Playbill”. Playbill. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- Full References at Wiki