Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Moulin Rouge! is a jukebox musical with a book by John Logan. The musical is based on the 2001 film of the same name directed by Baz Luhrmann and written by Luhrmann and Craig Pearce. The musical premiered on July 10, 2018 at the Emerson Colonial Theatre in Boston. On November 19, 2018, it was announced that Moulin Rouge! would open on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, beginning on June 28, 2019 with an opening night set for July 25.
In 2002–2003, there was speculation about the possibility of a stage musical based on Moulin Rouge!, possibly in Las Vegas, but there had been no public talks in the years since. Some sources claimed in 2006 that the director, Baz Luhrmann, had approached the leads of the film, Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor, to star in the potential stage version. In 2016, it was announced that a stage musical was being developed by Global Creatures, with direction by Alex Timbers.
A workshop took place in 2017, starring Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo. The lab ran from October 30 until December 15
Moulin Rouge! is set in Montmartre Quarter of Paris, France, during the Belle Epoque at the turn of the 20th century. It is a fictional story about Christian, a young composer, who ends up falling in love with cabaret actress Satine, who is the star of the Moulin Rouge. Similar to the movie, the musical’s score will weave together original songs with popular music “including songs that have been written in the 17 years since the film’s premiere”.
Moulin Rouge! was scheduled to begin preview performances on June 27, 2018, at the Emerson Colonial Theatre in Boston. The production was scheduled to officially open on July 22, 2018, and would complete its limited run on August 5, 2018. On June 6, 2018, it was announced that the Boston production would be extended by 16 additional performances, running through August 19, 2018. Construction delays in renovating the Emerson Colonial Theatre resulted in the premiere date being pushed back to July 10, 2018. The production has choreography by Sonya Tayeh, sets by Derek McLane, costumes by Catherine Zuber, lighting design by Justin Townsend and sound design by Peter Hylenski. During an Instagram takeover by a cast member on July 21, 2018, it was reported that the show is scheduled to move to Broadway in the summer of 2019. On November 19, 2018, it was announced that Moulin Rouge! would open on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, beginning on June 28, 2019 with an opening night set for July 25.
Karen Olivo – Satine
Aaron Tveit – Christian
Danny Burstein – Harold Zidler
Robyn Hurder – Nini
Tam Mutu – The Duke
Sahr Ngaujah – Toulouse-Lautrec
Ricky Rojas – Santiago
Jacqueline B. Arnold – Le Chocolat / Ensemble
Olutayo Bosede – Broadway Debut – Ensemble
Kyle Brown – Ensemble
Sam J. Cahn – Ensemble
Max Clayton – Ensemble
Paloma Garcia-Lee – Ensemble
Bahiyah Hibah – Ensemble
Ericka Hunter – Ensemble
Holly James – Arabia / Ensemble
Reed Luplau – Pierre / Ensemble
Jeigh Madjus – Broadway Debut Babydoll / Ensemble
Morgan Marcell – Ensemble
Brandt Martinez – Ensemble
Jodi McFadden – Ensemble
Kevyn Morrow – Ensemble
Fred Odgaard – Ensemble
Khori Michelle Petinaud – Ensemble
Benjamin Rivera – Ensemble
Swings: Yurel Echezarreta, Jennifer Florentino and Dylan Paul
Book by John Logan; Based on the Motion Picture by 20th Century Fox
Based on the 20th Century Fox Motion Picture by Baz Luhrmann
Music orchestrated by Justin Levine
Co – Orchestrator: Katie Kresek
Charlie Rosen and Matt Stine
Music arranged by Justin Levine
Dance arrangements by Justin Levine and Matt Stine
Additional lyrics by Justin Levine
Musical Director: Cian McCarthy
Directed by Alex Timbers
Choreographed by Sonya Tayeh
Scenic Design by Derek McLane
Costume Design by Catherine Zuber
Lighting Design by Justin Townsend
Sound Design by Peter Hylenski
Hair and Wig Design by David Brian Brown
Make-Up Design by Sarah Cimino
Executive Producer: Bill Damaschke
General Manager: Foresight Theatrical
Company Manager: Marc Borsak
Technical Supervisor: Juniper Street Productions
Musical Supervisor: Justin Levine
Musical Coordinator: Michael Aarons
- 2018 Boston World Premiere Production
† Featured in the 2001 film.
*Official musical number titles not released. Scenes and/or plot points provided.
- Evans, Greg (April 4, 2018). “‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’ Announces Cast For Pre-Broadway Boston Premiere”. Deadline. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- “Moulin Rouge! The Musical Sets Dates, Theater & Casting for Broadway Premiere”. Broadway.com. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- “Moulin Rouge – Stage Production”. Baz the Great. Archived from the original on March 3, 2009. Retrieved March 27, 2009.
- Gorgan, Elena (June 20, 2006). “Moulin Rouge on the Stage? – The director Baz Luhrmann has already approached Kidman and McGregor with the offer”. Softpedia. Retrieved March 27, 2009.
- Lang, Brent (September 1, 2016). “‘Moulin Rouge!’ Being Developed Into a Stage Musical”. Variety. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Hetrick, Adam (October 31, 2017). “Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo Lead Moulin Rouge! Lab”. Playbill. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- “Moulin Rouge! The Musical”. Broadway.com. Retrieved May 9, 2018.
- McPhee, Ryan (April 4, 2018). “Aaron Tveit and Karen Olivo Will Star in Boston World Premiere of Moulin Rouge! Musical”. Playbill. Retrieved April 15, 2018.
- McPhee, Ryan (August 3, 2018). “World Premiere of Moulin Rouge! Musical Officially Opens in Boston Before Broadway Bow”. Playbill. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- Hetrick, Adam (June 6, 2018). “Broadway-Aimed Moulin Rouge! Extends Boston Run”. Playbill. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- “MOULIN ROUGE! Delays Boston Premiere to July 10th, Full New Dates”. Broadway World. June 18, 2018. Retrieved June 18, 2018.